Thursday, January 8, 2009

On courtesy

This morning, when I wandered into what the LA and I generally refer to as the back bedroom (while it could contain a bed, it's rather less than ideal for the purpose and instead contains our puzzles, stashed yarn, musical instruments, board games, and a table), I saw rather a lot of truck through the window. Said truck was sitting and being loaded with soil by a backhoe (JCB, for the British readers, although it's actually made by John Deere rather than JCB). They were digging up the road.

Interestingly, there had been no indication whatsoever that this was to occur. The far less inconvenient gutter cleaning I hear going on this very moment, we had been warned about a good week in advance, but the road work was a total surprise, and not just to us; there was a chap across the way who had to ask the workers to knock off and move their JCB so that he could extract his car from his garage.

I don't even know if it's safe to shower.

My local water board take many, many demerits for this.

1 comment:

  1. the gutter cleaning is provided by your landlord, who has a vested interest in telling you about such things.

    City infrastructure services are not as nice as that - although they usually attempt to tell people when they are (a) digging up the road or (b) affecting the local water supply. But that could be because my neighbor worked for the water company, and he would knock on doors and let us know.

    ReplyDelete

After some particularly vile spam showed up, I have disabled the ability to comment as a nonny-mouse.