Tuesday, November 4, 2008

On the orientability of certain Platonic solids

Following my post regarding the excellent dice bag the LA knitted for me, somebody asked me about one of the dice shown in the photos. After that question, I now present for your edification the art of reading the d4.

Below, we see two d4s; an old-style d4 in pearl, and a new-style d4 in white. Both of them are showing a result of 1.


Below, we see the same two dice. This time, however, they're showing a result of 2.


Below, once again, the same two dice, showing 3.


And finally, the same two dice, both showing a result of 4.


As you can tell, the reading method is consistent: you read the number which is upright. I personally prefer (and have more of) the old-style d4s, but I do have the new ones just in case I have a player who doesn't know how to read a d4 properly.

Of course, if they follow my blog, now they do, and so do you.

1 comment:

  1. Even if you have no idea going in, you should be able to figure it out by deduction ;)

    ReplyDelete

After some particularly vile spam showed up, I have disabled the ability to comment as a nonny-mouse.