Friday, November 7, 2008

On literature

My sister purchased a copy of Neal Stephenson's Anathem for my birthday gift. It's a rather imposing book, and initially difficult to read thanks to large numbers of unfamiliar, invented words. However, I rapidly got past that. I have to admit to having bogged down somewhat, as lighter-reading books have come along, but I'm plugging away with enjoyment.

Stephenson seems to have become the progressive rock of literature. He's rapidly shot beyond normal length to triple-album regions, and each book seems to have a concept. With Anathem, I get the impression his concept is the exploration of the consequences of making science genuinely be a religion, as some people allege it to be.

I'm enjoying it, but it's a big book that demands you think. Be warned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

After some particularly vile spam showed up, I have disabled the ability to comment as a nonny-mouse.