Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Linguistic diffusion

Those of you who've spoken with me will know of my affinity for wordplay, silly turns of phrase, and general tomfoolery with language. I enjoy producing intelligible sentences which express my meaning in unexpected ways.

One turn of phrase I particularly like is noting that "his budgie's fallen off" when seeing a particularly pronounced spoiler on a car. It expresses the disdain I feel for someone who actually thinks such a thing does anything but cause drag on a road car.

Tonight, the LA made me rather happy, as we were circulating looking for a parking space at the knitting group; she commented upon "the car with the missing budgie". It took me a moment to realise she was using the wordplay I'd picked up from my father; she was commenting upon the Subaru with the huge spoiler which was badly parked right where I'd have liked to park.

I do believe I'm rubbing off on her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

After some particularly vile spam showed up, I have disabled the ability to comment as a nonny-mouse.