Thursday, April 16, 2009

Something to be impressed by

The LA and I live on the upper storey of a two-storey structure. Our stairs are external, and the top end debouches onto a largish porch, partially covered by a canopy which is part of the roof. Now, when we arrived here, we had an articicial ivy plant which had been hanging from a hook in the previous place, and we had a hook in the canopy. The two seemed to be an obvious match, and so there it has hung ever since. In recent weeks, I have been confronted upon opening the door by a flurry of small brown wings as a bird departed from the basket of plastic ivy with some alacrity.

Last night, I stopped to look, and discovered a rather large quantity of dry plant matter, which had been woven into a small bowl shape. It currently contains four eggs; last night, when my photograph was taken, it contained three.


The eggs are a very pale green, with very sparse brown speckling. I'm leaving them alone, because I would love this family of birds to be successful. I would also like to be able to figure out what sort of birds they are, but that seems unlikely at this point.

1 comment:

  1. That's really great. I'd much rather have birds than bees. Although I might change my tune if the birds started getting in my flat and hiding in my clothes like the bees did.

    ReplyDelete

After some particularly vile spam showed up, I have disabled the ability to comment as a nonny-mouse.