Friday, October 16, 2009

It's the little things.

Small details that make the difference.

In general, food shopping here is very similar to in the UK. However, some things differ. For instance, vegetables. I cannot find runner beans here. It's as if they don't exist. On the other hand, celeriac is easy to find, if only I had a really good use for it.

Sausages; I can't find sausages such as I grew up with. Nor can I find back bacon.

Lamb is very rarely found, although I'm not concerned about that since I dislike lamb.

Cheese is much restricted in its selection.

And on another note entirely, we have a new contender in the "classiest clothing" award: an oversized sleeveless t-shirt advertising a bail bond service. Stay classy, sir!

7 comments:

  1. Dear Son,

    I may be wrong, but I thought the American term for runner beans was string beans. Bit late in the season for them now, even given the difference in climate.

    Celeriac makes a very nice soup.

    Tough about the sausages!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't matter what they're called if they're not there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The generic American term is actually "green beans" (yes, I know, how boring...). "String beans" is a northeasternism, though it's the one I grew up with. And you could always find some growing behind my grandmother's house.

    They should be very easy to find *frozen*. Fresh is another matter but they *should* show up in the store. If not, have you got a farmer's market anywhere within a reasonable distance? I guess you're not exactly in the place for those. :)

    As to sausage -- well, I really don't know about the variety you grew up with, but try the "hot Italian" variety for a sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and "the little things"... no doubt. I only moved 700 miles, from one part of this country to another, and I buy a different brand of almost *everything* in the stores here than I did back home. I mean sure, some things are national, like Pepsi or my dish detergent, but the meats, the dairy, the frozen foods, even some of the drinks... you never realize how regional they are until you leave the region :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finding a good butcher may well solve two of your problems in one fell swoop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The difference between sausages and sausage is another fine example of two nations divided by a common language. To me, "sausage" is a means of packaging meat: mince it fine, mix with herbs and spices, possibly some breadcrumbs for bulk, and force it into an edible casing (intestine, for preference). Meanwhile, to an American, "sausage" means the mixture which goes into the sausage.

    Whether a butcher over here would know the right spicing for my childhood sausages is a really interesting question.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also, you can maybe find runner beans at an Asian market.

    ReplyDelete

After some particularly vile spam showed up, I have disabled the ability to comment as a nonny-mouse.